Jamaica Marriage License Application

Please review the requirements for YOUR country about getting married in a foreign country.

  1. Jamaica Marriage License Application
  2. Jamaica Marriage License Application Status

General Information
Jamaica is an unforgettable destination to have your wedding. To ensure that the planning of this special day happens hassle-free, the following information should help to guide you through the process.

Waiting Period
Visitors can be married just 24 hours after arriving in Jamaica, providing prior application has been made for a marriage licence.

Documentation (Mandatory)

Both you and your intended spouse must appear at the office of the city clerk in person, together and at the same time to obtain a marriage license. However, the application can be started online and ready for you when you arrive at the Clerk’s office. Your photo identity documentation must be current and valid.

  • Proof of citizenship – certified copy of birth certificate which includes father’s name
  • Written consent from parent(s) with proof of identity of parent(s) if under 18 years of age
  • Proof of divorce (if applicable) – original certificate of divorce
  • Certified copy of death certificate of former spouse you are a widow or widower


  1. Getting married in Jamaica can be done as quickly as just 24 hours after you arrive, once you’ve taken care of all paperwork beforehand. Many wedding venues, resorts, and event planners will take care of these things for you to ensure your wedding is not only luxurious but legal too. The required paperwork includes securing your marriage license.
  2. Form F2-F4-F6 - Application for General Driver's Licence Who applies: This form is to be used by all persons applying for a general driver’s licence. Form F5 - Private Driver's and Motor Cycle Driver's Declaration of Physical Fitness.
  3. Apply, renew and replace driver’s licence, register a motor vehicle, get certificate of fitness Passports, Citizenship and Identity Apply, renew & replace passport, Renew Adult Passport online, Track passport application, get citizenship, obtain birth, death, marriage certificate.
  4. Certified copies of Marriage Certificates for persons who were married in Jamaica are issued by the Registrar General’s Department (RGD). The Embassy facilitates the process by forwarding applications to the RGD. Attached is a Marriage Certificate Application Form, which should be completed and returned to this Embassy, along with the following.

Blood Test
No Blood test is required.

To apply for a marriage licence
To apply for your marriage licence, contact the Ministry of Justice in Jamaica:
Ministry of Justice
2 Oxford Road
NCB Towers, 10th floor/South Tower
Kingston 5
Office Hours: Monday to Thursday 9:00am to 5:00pm, Friday from 9:00am to 4:00pm
Tel: 1 876 906 4923 -31
Fax: 1 876 906 1712
Email: customerservice @ moj.gov.jm

Using a recognised marriage officer to plan your wedding
Marriage officers are available throughout the island and may be requested through the:
Registrar General's Department
Twickenham Park
St. Catherine
Tel: 876-749-0550 or 876-619-1260
Email: information @ rgd.gov.jm
Website: www.rgd.gov.jm

See also the Jamaica Tourist Board Web site at www.visitjamaica.com for a listing of recognised marriage officers.
Each Marriage Officer may have his/her own prices and requirements; however the process remains basically the same.


  • You will need to send notarised COPIES of all documents. This should be sent by courier or the postal service to the Marriage Officer. Courier service, though more expensive is more reliable and quicker than the post. Important: You must bring the ORIGINAL documents with you for the wedding to actually take place.
  • The Marriage Officer will complete the required forms and arrange all documents.
  • He/She can arrange for the ceremony to take place in a church or at a location of your choice.
  • Marriage ceremonies may be conducted every day of the week between the hours of 6:00 and 20:00.
  • Upon travel to Jamaica, please do not forget to bring the ORIGINAL documents with you. This is very important, or else all the arrangements would have been naught!

Hotel Weddings
Most hotels in Jamaica have wedding coordinators or someone who can plan your wedding for you! Some hotels even offer weddings inclusive in your holiday package! Ask your travel agent which ones do and once the hotel or tour operator offers this service, most travel agents will even assist you with the planning.
The process is the same as when using a Marriage Officer. The main difference may be the cost or the time frame for sending the required documents to the hotel.
Some hotels require the documents at least 6 weeks prior the proposed wedding date. Please verify all details with the hotel or tour operator first.
Marriage ceremonies may be conducted every day of the week between the hours of 6:00 and 20:00.

After the Ceremony
Immediately following the ceremony, you are given a copy of the Marriage Register which shows proof of marriage. This is signed by the Marriage Officer, yourselves and your witnesses. (Don’t worry; you don’t have to bring your own with you!)

Jamaica Marriage License Application

Important: The copy of the Marriage Register that you receive on the day of your wedding is NOT a legal document and as such cannot be used to conduct any business! You must obtain a certified copy of your marriage certificate.

Certified Copy of Marriage Certificate
The Marriage Certificate may be applied for by the Marriage Officer and takes between 7 working days to one (1) month to be processed by the Registrar General’s Department (Registry of births, deaths and marriages) whose address appears above. You may apply for it yourself and there is an express service available. Please ask your Marriage Officer or the Hotel wedding coordinator about this service when you make initial contact and make your payments.

Jamaica marriage license application online application

Jamaica Marriage License Application Status

Important: Your country may require that in order for your marriage certificate to be accepted, the document must be legalised. In such cases, please contact the Embassy which represents your Government in Jamaica to have this done. The Hotel or Marriage Officer can assist you in this regard. If your country does not have an Embassy or Consulate in Jamaica, please find out from the Ministry of Foreign (External) Affairs of your country how you can get your certificate legalised.
Only after being legalised by your Embassy or Consulate is the marriage process in Jamaica complete and your marriage will be recognised as a legal union in your country of origin.